Rioja Reserva El Ternero

SKU: BIA101 Categories: , , Tags: , , ,


Out of stock

Weight 1 kg

Forest Fruit, Rounded, Spices, Vanilla


Mazuelo, Tempranillo


El Ternero


Spain, Rioja


DOCA Rioja Alta







Wine Production


The Rioja Reserva El Ternero is a cherry red wine with aromas featuring the predominant flavour of forest fruits such as blackberries and blueberries.

This is all married with the spicy and vanilla aromas it obtains from its time in the barrel.

On the palate it is fresh and rounded, with background flavours of black fruits and scrub-land spices.

After the harvesting by hand, the maceration for the Rioja Reserva El Ternero usually takes about 15 to 20 days. After that time, 60% of the wine undergoes malolactic fermentation in new French oak barrels, while the remaining 40% is put into second year barrels.

After the malolactic fermentation, we age the wine in the same barrels for a minimum of 18 months.

El Ternero

The origins of the estate date back to 1077 A.D., a time when it belonged to the Santa María de Herrera Monastery. The cluster of buildings, nestling in the shade of the Obarenes Mountains, were formerly used as a monastery, barracks, a school, a hospice for pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago and a hermitage which currently remains open, sheltering our patron saint, the Virgin of the Pear.

Hacienda El Ternero has a unique vineyard in one of the highest areas of Rioja, giving our vines a privileged location which is later captured in our wines. We grow Tempranillo, Viura, Garnacha and Mazuelo grape varieties, among others.

The vineyards, located at an average altitude of 650 metres and protected by the Obarenes Mountains, enjoy a privileged microclimate which is ideal for the cultivation of grapes, with cold, dry winters and warm summers.

The shallow soil originates from a calcareous clay mixed with rounded stones, providing it with richness and aeration. All of this, combined with the orientation and different altitudes of the vines (some which are over 50 years old), favours the production of grapes with exceptional natural properties, ideal for the production of great aged wines with a unique character that stems from the terroir.

Our winery lies in the heart of the estate: stone buildings from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries in which we create our wines in an almost artisanal way, allowing us to pay them the attention they deserve.

Behind the walls of the former monastery, our wines age calmly in French oak barrels, becoming more refined with the passage of time.


Be the first to review “Rioja Reserva El Ternero”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Rioja Reserva El Ternero is a cherry red wine with aromas featuring the predominant flavour of forest fruits